Founder – Grant von Horsten
Grant’s Formal Training:
- Executive Masters in Business Administration (E-MBA) at UWA
- Postgraduate studies in Business Engineering & Asset Management at UWA
- Government Cert. of Competence
- Neurolinguistics Program (NLP)
- Lean Facilitators Course at UNISA
- Certificate of Negotiation at ENS International
- Asset Management for Managers Program at AIM
Grant von Horsten, founder of von X Consulting, has more than 25 years experience within industry across various commodity groups; Gold, Mineral Sands (Zircon, Titanium Dioxide – rutile and synthetic rutile), Laterite Nickel, Cobalt, Lead and Iron Ore, and has worked with multi-cultural and diverse teams whilst living and working in Australia, South Africa, Papua New Guinea, and Madagascar.
During international travels to North America and Canada, Grant has influenced OEM’s (Origional Equipment Manufacturers) design changes to mining equipment to ensure safety for both operators and maintainers. This included visiting and engaging executive team members at Caterpillar, Komatsu, Hitachi, Sadvik, Atlas Copco, Joy Global etc.
He has a strong operational background, supported by an executive Masters in Business Administration (E-MBA) and post graduate studies in Business Engineering & Asset Management.
Grant has a unique ability to enhance organisational effectiveness through identifying and improving business operating models, undertaking organisational design review and implementing effective strategies to deliver results.
He has a proven track record in managing projects and implementing effective operational readiness frameworks to ensure realisation of capital investment and ramp up schedules.
Capabilities | Strategy:
- facilitated workshops including defining a vision, strategy, strategic objectives and achieving value congruence through facilitated team building and breakaway sessions
Capabilities | Asset Management:
- successfully implemented ISO55000 Asset Management (AM) framework and training materials for business leaders as well as operational teams to realise a better return on their investment at an asset and organisational level.
- operational readiness governance in organisational design, maintenance tactics and strategy.
Capabilities | People & Leadership:
- coached and mentored managers, superintendents and shop floor personnel for both personal and professional development.
- achieved by applying various leaderships tools, NLP techniques and cascaded coaching methodologies.
Capabilities | Organisational Change & Transformation:
- achieved significant turnaround in workplace culture through application of various models, concepts and transformational change programs.
Capabilities | Business Improvement:
- led numerous corporate risk and opportunity review sessions to ensure business risks are mitigated and opportunities leveraged through application of various business improvement tools, techniques and processes.
Grant has a unique and solid background in running small businesses, consulting and working in major corporations that own and manage processing plants, open cut operations, deep level underground mining, mineral sands and complex smelting operations.
He has extensive experience in maintenance, reliability, asset management, operational readiness, managing capital projects and shut downs in excess of $100m.
And has fulfilled various service and support leadership positions within corporate, worked remotely within FIFO (fly in fly out) operations, based on site in residential roles as well as expatriate assignments.
This collectively has resulted in personal growth and further strengthened business acumen, better understanding of people, cultural awareness and how to drive business priorities to deliver results.
- Gold Client – Project Management framework development for minor and major projects.
- Rio Tinto – Cultural transformation, safety improvement, coaching and team engagement.
- Mount Gibson – Implemented visual management boards and dewatering strategy.
- Nyrstar – Transitioned an outsourced ESA (Engineering Services Agreement) to an inhouse project management team and recruitment. Negotiation rep for EBA (Ent. Bargain Agree).
- Ambatovy – Established a shutdown management framework and execution strategy.
- Iluka – Innovation training, facilitated regional asset management (AM) workshop.
- Newcrest – Operational readiness: million-ounce plant upgrade and developed AM plans.
- Barrick – Coordinated and facilitated regional AM audits and improvement programs. Rolled out maintenance basics and asset management fundamentals across Australasia pacific.
- Goldfields – Maintenance org redesign, including the establishment of vision and strategy.
Grant’s Family: Jacqui, Caitlin & Cassidy
Book a Call:
Talk to us today about how we can support your growth, limit your turnover, and put you on a solid track to success and profit.